What I'm up to these days
- I'm responsible for the Personal and Cultural Enrichment program (PACE) at McGill University. PACE is a forum for exploring topics of interest for social engagement, to assist in life transitions or to gain practical skills to apply to our daily life. Through PACE, I also work with the McGill Community for Lifelong Learning, a peer-to-peer community of post-retirement learners.
- I teach CPAC102: Topics in Volunteerism and Community Development. This course is offered through the McGill School of Continuing Studies and leads students to consider the approaches and practices of local community organizing. Participants are introduced to the significance, and critiques, of volunteerism and the impact perpetrated by various local, third sector groups.
- My MA is in Educational Studies (Concordia University). My thesis research project, Power Up!, was a bike-powered exploration of the intersection of technology, community and self-reliance.
- I'm an affiliate of the Centre for Oral History and Digital Storytelling at Concordia University.
- Mapmaker Shane Watt and I are currently collaborating on Paper Places: an Exploration of Childhood, Mapmaking and the Commons, a workshop for 6-8 yr olds on their relationship to the city. The next session will take place in May at Coop Le Milieu.
- On Monday May 4, I'll guest-lecture in the Green Living: Perspectives on Ecology and Environmental Action course at Champlain College.
- On Saturday June 6, I'll moderate the Storytelling Café end-of-year celebration of the University of the Streets Café program at Concordia University.
- An article I wrote on the hacker-maker social movement will be included in Perspective on the Status of Electronic Equipment in Montreal, a journal published by Articule and the Artifact Institute.
- I contributed a short presentation to the Social Learning for Social Impact Group MOOC currently being developed at McGill by Profs. Henry Mintzberg, Leslie Breitner and Anita Nowak, and Carlos Rueda. The MOOC will launch in fall 2015.
Reach me by email.